Friday, February 27, 2009

Bran the Raven

I think I took my first trip to The Tower of London when I was about 8. Must have been on a school outing or Boy Scout event. Living in London, as I did, afforded me all sorts of fabulous forays into history,art, culture and religion.

The Ravens at the Tower hold a special place for me and in English history. It is said that should the Ravens leave the Tower, the English monarchy would fall. Although it's not known exactly when they arrived, it is known that Charles II ordered that they be removed until he found out about the lore.

I felt an instant connection to the birds. They are huge, look one right in the eye and unlike most other creatures, they will stare right back at you. I was completely taken by their silky black feathers, dark as midnight.

What fascinates me most about the prohibition on the Raven's departure is the idea that a geasa, or magical working is still in place today and so prevalent in "everyday", modern history.

What is not so known is that Tower Hill (just outside the Tower proper) is the fabled resting site of Bran the Blessed. Bran, whose name means "Raven" was an early model or archetype for the "Arthur" myths that followed much later. And like Arthur, the country's fate rose and fell with him.

It would seem that the Ravens have been sacred to British monarchy for time immemorial. So I think my first quest is to learn more about Bran, as this is where the story seems to begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment